Thanks for visiting my site! Feel free to email me. With more than 70 books published, I still love writing and have several more coming in the future.
I’m a native of central Maine and grew up on a small farm. My husband, Jim, and I lived in his home state, Oregon, for a while after we were married, but decided to move back to Maine and be near my family. We lived in Clinton, Maine for more than 32 years. In May, 2010, we moved to western Kentucky.
Our six children were all home-schooled. The exception was that our two youngest took their final year at a Christian school. We have ten gorgeous, brilliant grandchildren. 🙂 Right now we also have two cats and a horse.
I’ve always loved reading, history, and horses. I took a vocational course in horseshoeing after earning a bachelor’s degree in history. I don’t shoe horses anymore, but the experience has come in handy in writing several of my books.
Another longtime hobby of mine is genealogy, which has led me down many fascinating paths. Some of Jim’s and my quirkier ancestors have inspired fictional characters.
For many years I worked for the Central Maine Morning Sentinel as a freelancer. This experience was a great help in developing fictional characters and writing realistic scenes. I also published nonfiction articles in several magazines and had several short stories appear in Woman’s World, Grit, and Alfred Hitchcock’s Mystery Magazine. I’ve been blessed with awards for several of my books, including the Carol Award (formerly known as the Book of the Year, sponsored by American Christian Fiction Writers), the Will Rogers Medallion, and the Inspirational Readers’ Choice Award. Three of my books have been “Top Picks” in Romantic Times Book Reviews magazine.
AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- 2004—named Heartsong Presents Favorite New Author of 2004. Protecting Amy was named second favorite historical book of the year by Heartsong readers.
- 2006—The Prisoner’s Wife was named favorite historical of the year among Heartsong readers.
- March, 2007—Frasier Island was a Top Pick in Romantic Times Book Reviews magazine.
- 2007—The Prisoner’s Wife won the short historical category of both American Christian Fiction Writers’ Book of the Year Contest and the Inspirational Readers’ Choice Contest, sponsored by the Faith Hope & Love chapter of Romance Writers of America.
- 2007—Wyoming Hoofbeats placed third in the inspirational category of the More than Magic Contest.
- 2007—Feather placed third in the general fiction category of American Christian Fiction Writers’ Book of the Year Contest.
- 2007—The Lumberjack’s Lady was named second favorite historical book of the year by Heartsong Presents readers. Susan was among the top 10 favorite authors.
- 2007—Frasier Island was the October selection of Books-A-Million’s Faithpoint Book Club.
- 2007—Finding Marie was a selection of the Crossings Book Club.
- 2008—The Lumberjack’s Lady won the short historical category of the Inspirational Readers’ Choice Contest sponsored by the Faith Hope & Love chapter of Romance Writers of America.
- 2008—Sarah’s Long Ride was a finalist in the young adult category of American Christian Fiction Writers’ Book of the Year Contest.
- November, 2008—Snowbound Colorado Christmas, including Susan’s novella “Almost Home,” was on the Christian Book Distributors top 20 fiction list at www.christianbook.com.
- January, 2009—Susan was #5 on the Heartsong readers’ list of top ten favorite authors for 2008. A New Joy made the top-10 list of Heartsong readers’ favorite historicals of the year, and two of Susan’s covers (Return to Love and A New Joy) were among the top 10 favorites.
- February, 2009—Inside Story was a selection of the Crossings Book Club.
- July, 2009—“Almost Home,” in the Snowbound Colorado Christmas collection, placed second in the 2009 Inspirational Readers’ Choice Contest, novella category.
- August, 2009—Hearts in the Crosshairs was rated four-and-a-half stars by Romantic Times Book Reviews
- September, 2009—Return to Love was a finalist in the ACFW’s Book of the Year contest.
- December, 2009—The Sheriff’s Surrender was a top pick in inspirational fiction in Romantic Times Book Reviews’ December issue and rated 4-1/2 stars.
- January, 2010—Susan was named second in the list of ten Favorite Authors of the Year among Heartsong Presents readers, and two of her covers (Trail to Justice and Always Ready) made the favorites lists too.
- January, 2010—Hearts in the Crosshairs was nominated for the Reviewers’ Choice Award at Romantic Times Book Reviews.
- June, 2010, The Gunsmith’s Gallantry was rated 4-1/2 stars by Romantic Times Book Reviews.
- August, 2010—The Crimson Cipher was named a Top Pick and rated 4-1/2 stars by Romantic Times Book Reviews in the August issue.
- January, 2011—Susan was named Favorite Author of the Year in the 18th Annual Heartsong Awards. Her book Fire & Ice was number 4 on the “Favorite Contemporary Romance” list, and Polar Opposites came in at number 6. The cover of Polar Opposites also appeared eighth on the list of “Favorite Contemporary Covers.”
- May, 2011—Christmas Mail Order Brides was named one of the five best Collections of the Year in Family Fiction Magazine’s 2011 Readers Choice Awards.
- October, 2011—The Lady’s Maid was rated 4-1/2 stars in RT Book Reviews.
- July 2012—Captive Trail was awarded the Will Rogers Medallion, in the Western Fiction category.
- August 2012—Captive Trail was named a finalist in the WILLA Literary Awards and the ACFW Carol Awards.
- March 2013—Captive Trail was a selection of the Crossings Book Club.
- March & April 2014—The New England Romance Collection was named to the Evangelical Christian Publishers’ Association’s bestseller list in both months.
- July & August 2014—The Beaches and Brides Romance Collection was named to the Evangelical Christian Publishers’ Association’s bestseller list.
- August 2014—The Prairie Dreams Trilogy and Westward Christmas Brides were both selections of the Literary Guild and Crossings Book Club.
- September 2014—The Prairie Dreams Trilogy was #4 on the ECPA Bestsellers list.
- October 2014—Westward Christmas Brides and the Prairie Dreams Trilogy were both named to the ECPA fiction bestsellers’ list.
- November and December 2014—Westward Christmas Brides remained on the ECPA fiction bestsellers list.
- January 2015—Westward Christmas Brides remained on the ECPA bestsellers list and was named #13 on the ECPA list of Christian Fiction Bestsellers of 2014.
- March 2015—The Outlaw Takes a Bride was reviewed in Romantic Times Book Reviews, receiving its top rating of 4-1/2 stars.
- November and December 2015–The 12 Brides of Christmas was named to the ECPA fiction bestsellers list.
- April, 2016--The Cowboy’s Bride was fifth on the ECPA fiction bestsellers list and was named to Christian Book Distributors’ best-seller lists for historical and western fiction. It was #8 on the Publisher’s Weekly list of bestselling religious fiction.
- May, 2016–The Cowboy’s Bride remained on the CBD bestseller lists for romance and western fiction.
- July and August, 2016–The 12 Brides of Summer was named to the ECPA fiction bestsellers list.
- July, 2016–River Rest was named winner of The Clash of the Titles.
- August, 2015, The Twelve Brides of Summer Collection was named to the ECPA bestsellers list.
- September and October, 2016–Mountain Christmas Brides is a CBD bestseller in fiction and romance fiction. The Cowboy’s Bride is a CBD bestseller in western fiction.
- October, 2016–Mountain Christmas Brides was #7 on the Publisher’s Weekly Top Ten Religious Fiction list, and was also named to the ECPA fiction bestsellers list.
- October, 2016–The Outlaw Takes a Bride won the Will Rogers Medallion Awards bronze medal, Western Romance category.
- November and December, 2016, Mountain Christmas Brides remained on the ECPA best-sellers list.
- January, 2017–Seven Brides for Seven Texans was named to the CBD bestsellers list.
- February, 2017, Seven Brides for Seven Texans and The Cowboy’s Bride are both sitting pretty on the CBD bestseller list of western fiction.
- July and August, 2017, Seven Brides for Seven Mail Order Husbands was named to the ECPA fiction bestsellers list and also was among the top-selling romance fiction at CBD.
- November, 2017, The Captive Brides Collection was named to the ECPA fiction bestsellers list and CBD’s bestselling romance fiction list.